5 Ways to Improve Posture in Elderly
Posture affects the health and wellness of the seniors. For people over 65 years old, most of them have hunched back. This is the extreme curvature of the upper back. It increases disability and the risk of falls and fractures.
There are various causes of poor posture for the elderly. It may be caused by pre-existing health conditions like arthritis and osteoporosis. Another cause is the inactive lifestyle. Preventing the sedentary lifestyle is the key to a good posture. But it is difficult for the elderly to have an active lifestyle.
There are elderly who are recovering from surgery or injury. They may also have difficulty standing or sitting up straight. Loved ones and caregivers must encourage them to correct their poor posture. There are ways how to improve posture in elderly.
- Regular exercise
Regular exercise can reduce stiffness, strengthen, and improve the muscles. The besthealthgear.com offers various fitness gears and machines that you may consider. You should ask the approval of your doctor. But you can do the following exercises without the use of any gears, devices, or machines:
- Arm Ups- This improves the flexibility of your ribs to assist in breathing. This will also help your ability to lift the ribs and bring the shoulders back into the proper position.
- Shoulder Circles- This improves the flexibility of your shoulder and rib cage. This would also make your spine have a better erect posture.
- Shoulder blade squeeze- This will make your spine have a neutral position. If you have a faulty posture, this exercise is a great help.
- Spine extensions- This puts the spine, shoulders, and chin back in neutral position. This also enhances the flexibility of the chest, respiration, and lung functioning.
- Take Vitamin D supplement
Vitamin D is important for your bone health. It also maintains the muscles. You may get it from a healthy diet. An early exposure to sunlight can also help you absorb vitamin D. For the elderly up to 70 years old, the recommended dietary intake of vitamin D is 600 IU every day.
- Eat Healthily
Calcium is very important for the bones. For those who are 19 to 50 years old, the recommended dietary intake of Calcium is 1,000 milligram daily. But there are foods, which are rich in Calcium like dairy products. For people 50 years and above, the recommended dietary intake of Calcium is 1,200 milligrams. Some studies suggest that taking too much Calcium can lead to heart attack and kidney stones. You may consult your physician first whether you can take a Calcium supplement or not.
- Control your weight
Elderly people should control their weight. Obesity can strain the back, which causes changes to the spine. You can regulate your weight by watching your diet and having regular exercise. Make sure that your doctor approves the regimen you follow. You may also read How to Correct Posture Mistakes in Women. This will give you more information.
- Consider mediation
When you consult your doctor, he will be able to determine the condition of your bone and spine. Although exercise can improve your bone health, taking some medication can also help. Your doctor may prescribe biphosphonate. However, these drugs may also increase the risk of rare fractures or other problems. There are some hormone-based medications, which can also improve bone density. These are the Evista, Calcitonin, and parathyroid hormone.
- Do not give up. You must not lose hope in achieving a good posture. As long as you take time and focus to practice it, you will make it happen.
- You can go to your doctor and discuss this. This will help you know exactly what you need and how to do it safely. Your doctor may give you the exercises fit for you and the right diet to take. He may also prescribe you with medicines.
- You should also check the lumbar support of your chair. If it is needed, you can buy a chair that encourages good posture.
It is vital to correct posture as soon as possible. In this way, you can avoid some health complications such as neck and back pain. You must keep your body moving to prevent the sedentary lifestyle. Follow the tips mentioned above and improve your health.